Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Queenstown

We left Wanaka yesterday and drove 100km inland to the city of Queenstown, adventure capitol of NZ. It is a really hilly place - REALLY. If you thought Drogheda was bad, think again. Poor Yari (our car) was struggling on the hills, and that was nothing compared to the Monster and I struggling up and down the hills on foot. You need a heart of steel and knees of titanium to manage in this town. I think after a month of living here I would either be really fit or dead (my money is on dead). We booked in to accommodation called Alexis (I have dubbed it Mount Alexis, because of the incredibly steep hill it is situated on) which is run by Jayne and Carl Kennedy (calm down Harvey and Webster, Jayne isn't from Firefly and for the Neighbours fans out there, I have yet ascertained if Carl is the same Carl Kennedy from the show). Jayne is extremely friendly. They have a lovely chocolate lab called Molly. We asked about White Water Rafting and Jayne sold us a package of jet boating and white water rafting. I was content for the Monster to do both and browse around Queenstown, but Jayne talked me into doing the jet boating and I am petrified now! There are lovely views of the city (picturesque buildings surrounding a huge lake which is bordered by mountains) the lake and mountains from our apartment (which is a duplex) and it is even nice at night watching the lights twinkling on the water. If you are willing to brave the hills, we are a short walk from Queenstown park, which has enormous pines, a duck pond and Frisbee golf. The park is just a few minutes from the boardwalk and centre of the city, which is tiny and easy to walk around. I like Queenstown, it is very pretty and like all of NZ, very clean. It has a nice vibe. My only gripe would be that it is very terraformed. By that, I mean that all the fish in the lake are introduced trout, all the birds are introduced mallard, blackbirds, thrush etc, and all the trees in the park are introduced Norway pine and spruce etc. I like when it is more native flora and fauna. It is still a beautiful place though. Walking along the boardwalk yesterday we got splashed with water from the lake (totally unexpectedly). Met a Moa (albeit in statue form - big birds), fed the fish in an underwater observatory (yes, fish are pests too! They were just like the ducks and gulls, circling hungrily to be fed. The difference between them and aquarium fish was amazing. they were much brighter, healthier and happier looking. There was a large eel as well, but she was shy and kept on hiding when we saw her) and wandered around town. This morning we got up early (for us), made the grueling walk into town and went up on the Gondola (NZ term for cable car). It gave spectacular views over the city, lake and mountains. It was extraordinary. Waiting for the jet boating now. What was I thinking to agree to it?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if you managed a cable car! whale watching! glacier walking and all the hills of queenstown (which is obviously alliance run) you'll find jet boating a breeze. good luck anyway and to the monster with the white river rafting - looking forward to hearing the up dates

Anonymous said...

Not getting any work done as so engrossed in the NZ drama plus reading the replies
Queenstown sounds nice, Though I hate hills, got vertigo in San fran, Jet boat sounds fun, wise to skip the white water rafting, is the monster relutant to return to fair city?
I am rationing the cardboard for Tofpot, hope it works, she got covered in oil yesterday on walk, don't know how (I was there) a bath was required.
Thanks for showing the Weika, very pretty but not as exotic as name, was imaging some sort of feathered pterodactyl or dragon.... looking forward to hearing how the watersport goes

Anonymous said...

P.S
Yipee I won the NZ pen, see I was paying attention to earlier postings. Looking forward to getting my prize

Anonymous said...

You'll both be very fit when you return! :)