Thursday, November 29, 2007

I don't like Milford Sound

Woke up this morning to the sound of someone running through the lodge banging on the doors - at 7.05am! Did not appreciate it. Had to vacate by 8.30am. Booked a place on the nature cruise for 10.30am and had breakfast. Muesli and yogurt, not as nice as the porridge yesterday. No sign of the keas. The ship was massive, with rooms for overnight stay and everything. Blair, our guide, gave very informative and amusing commentary. There were loads of waterfalls cascading off the rocks because of the rain and there not being any top soil. It was very very cold outside of the cabin. We saw some fur seals, some dolphins (a pod of 4, I think they were common or bottle nosed) and a couple of foirdland crested penguins. I liked it when we went out into the Tasmin sea, the rocking of the boat was very soothing. We played brain train. I felt totally miserable. We decided to go back to Wanaka and spend the remaining days of our holiday in luxury. When we got off the boat we saw that I had parked in a bus only parking space and we were blocked in. My only thoughts were of how much trouble I was in! Thank God we managed to get out ok and no one gave out to us. The Monster drove the first leg of the journey, the slippery slidy mountain roads from Milford Sound to Te Anu. The countryside was totally covered in mist. We saw 10 Harriers on the drive down yesterday. We saw 21 today, mostly in the Wanaka area. I drove from Te Anu to Queesntown. We stopped to pick up my meds, which I had left in the motel, then the Monster drove the last leg to Wanaka. It was about 6 hours driving altogether. It is really warm and sunny in Wanaka. Judith, the apartment manager welcomed us home and was really friendly. It is good to be back. I'm a bit disappointed (in myself) that we didn't press on to Stewart Island, but it is nice to be somewhere warm and comfy where we can chill out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you missed your porridge!! I think but good idea to go back to where you liked it

Anonymous said...

Yes, can't rough it for very long!

More dolphins! Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Dolphins and penguins cool! I was envious of your apartment so I can see why you went back, I hope you didn't miss too much in stewart island, glad you escaped the bus trap