Friday, November 16, 2007

Fearless Birds

I was wandering along the beach this morning, looking for a spot to sit and write while the Monster kayaks with fur seals, and I came upon a colony of pied shags (I tried to draw a picture to show you what they are like, but it was so bad I decided not to unleash it upon you. they look like our black shags but a little smaller and with white chests and throats). Like other NZ birds, they had no fear of me and didn't mind when I sat down near them (to show my respect, I kept about 10 foot distance) and watched them for a while. there was a collection of courting adults (the males did this really lovely thing with their throats, the females didn't seem impressed though) and juveniles. They were washing and fishing in the water, preening and drying off on the land (with that stance typical of shags and cormorants - wings outstretched) and singing to each other. A couple of red billed gulls were also washing in the water, but they kept their distance from the shags. A brave pigeon also went down to the water for a drink, much to the shags disapproval. I have never been so close to wild sea birds before, it was beautiful. I wanted to get some footage of the southern alps today, but the mist was over the mountains and hid them completely.

2 comments:

DN Reporter said...

Hope you got lots of writing done!

3000 a day is impossible when you're on hols - for get Nano, but let the countryside inspire you and write anyway, regardless of how little you get done!

Anonymous said...

Disapointed you didnt kayak thought you were getting very brave, maybe you were wise...The birds sound beautiful, you should have shown your picture I bet its good. Maybe I should cut back on the paper Tofpot has too much energy.