Sunday, November 18, 2007

Good bye and Good riddance Nelson!

Mass in Nelson was quite an experience - not one I would like to repeat. Imagine a school play - I will say no more. Drove on towards Greymouth and stopped in Westport. It isn't anything like the Irish town of that name. Westport is a mile long town, mostly closed down shops, petrol stations and spare part workshops for automobiles. The weather was lovely again today. Walked to the supermarket and bought some food then hung out in our motel. there is a beach, and lots of horses and even a couple of fields with cross country jumps. the Monster thought it was like being transported back in time to a town in the U.S in the 50's. I agree. They had a poster for celia ahern in the library, as well as Jeffery Deaver. Saw some harriers flying over the road as we travelled and a shag (non pied) on the very frightening Pier we drove down in Westport. The roads are still very like roller coasters. One minute we are climbing, the car (we have affectionately christened yari) losing power by the second, the next we are flying down sharp angle switchback bends and careening over single lane bridges. there are a LOT of bridges in NZ. Looking forward to moving on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the Irish chick lit writers (can't remember which of them) is really successful in NZ!

I'd be happy to tour there , of course...

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not driving in NZ, I'd have too close my eyes which might be dangerous. I have marked Nelson off the list of places I would like to visit....